
Have you seen the movie, "The Astronaut Farmer"? Ali and I rented it lastnight...what a great story. Its about a father who lives out his dream of one day flying in outer space by building his own rocket in his barn. Okay, so maybe its not the best movie out there, its a little predictable at times, perhaps a little too "feel good" for those who don't like that sort of thing. But I loved it! Incidentally, I'm not convinced that a movie has to be about dark things to be good. I love a good story. And I mean 'good' in the sense that it's true. Now, this isn't to say that, historically speaking, there actually existed a guy who built his own rocket with the purpose of flying it into space. Thats not what kind of truth I mean. I mean the kind of truth that points to the bigger story. The one that we are all involved in. The story that God has been creating since the beginning. This movie told a story about believing in dreams. Isn't that truth? Isn't God all about giving us dreams to dream?
It reminds me of a thought that G.K. Chesterton once had:
"I am concerned with a certain way of looking at life, which was created in me by fairy tales, but has since been ratified by the mere facts."

2 comments:
Thanks for the movie recommendation. Having not seen the movie -- I can't help but wonder if there is also a message or metaphor in the process of building the rocket? Always strive to make it better, always tinker, always pay attention to the detail while not forgetting about the big picture or goal. And while we are in those moments of paying attention -- of being in the moment and recognizing our true nature, fulfilling our true purpose -- perhaps we get glimpses of a little heaven on earth?
Yeah, good thought. I agree, we all have our own "rocket to build"--those things we do daily, whether at work or with family. These are a part of how our purpose is lived out. And yeah, heaven is here. All around us really, when we live out our purpose.
Post a Comment