I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the lives that youth live ‘online.’ It seems social networking sites like Myspace and Facebook are popular ways to have “community.” But I’ve been wondering, has technology stolen the concept of community for our students? Community is a word we use all the time…heck, as youth leaders its what we are all about, we even put it in our mission statements! Somehow I don’t think that the early disciples were facebooking each other when they were “devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship.” So what does it look like to build “community” with and amongst our students who’s experience of the concept likely includes their friends and interactions online? I don’t have an answer, sorry. Just wanting you all to think about this with me.
I’ve had a facebook page for a long time which up until now I’ve kept hidden from students. But I’ve taken the plunge and have finally invited students at church to be my ‘friends’ on facebook. I guess I now have an "online presence" in their lives. Which can't be all bad, right? I'm curious as to if any of them are hesitant to accept me as their friend because I'm their youth director. We'll see.
For now, I'll proceed with caution. I know that using the internet to connect with students should be seen as a liability as well as a useful tool. And really, a part of me wishes we could all be "old fasioned" and actually talk to each other in person once in a while.
related stuff:
http://timschmoyer.com/2007/11/14/internet-tools-i-use-in-ministry-4-of-6-facebook/
http://www.simplyyouthministry.com/from-the-field-13.html

2 comments:
i'm glad that you've taken the plunge as you've said. i see good and i see bad in us youth leaders doing it. the good..the kids can see into our life..beyond the youth group...the bad..our lives are out in the open, for them to look at..and for me..that's sometimes scary..not that i think i'm doing something wrong, but just that, sometimes i want my life that i live outside of church to kind of be that..my life outside the church..but as a youth leader..i've realized that i don't have that option..because the youth and the little kids at church are so much a part of my life..i don't think that having these communities online..has to take away from the old fashioned sit down and have a conversation time..i think that this is just another piece to the puzzle that we can create with each and every one of our youth group kids..
just a though..
thanks 2hrt2tellu...who are you?
Post a Comment